Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Anil !


 Anil is a boy studying in 8th standard, not coming to the school since a month or two. Teachers and Headmaster don't know why but they claim that they have tried to call him via his friends. He doesn't come. The staff is sort of challenging me if I am able to make him come back to school. I accept the challenge 'blindly.'

An entry on a random date in July when I just stared to go to school !


I didn't know anything about him apart from whatever his friend had told me while walking towards his house. His house is just a room with a Macha and curtains made up of old sarees; 4-5 utensils, pot and chulha in a small place with a wooden 'gate'!
His mother was busy in daily chores. I didn't see Anil anywhere. "I am from Anil's school" was an enough introduction. I started to talk to them, Anil came home with his sheep. His mother introduced me to him as 'his new madam.' It seemed that he already knew. I started to interrogate.
" Padhai achhi lagti hain?"
"haan."
"School achha hain?" 
"haan."
"Guruji marte hain?"
"nahi."
"to kyon nahi ate?"
"silence."
"kya hua?"
"silence."
"tum kuchh nahi bologe to hum kaise kuchh kar sakenge?"
"silence."

His mother broke it.
'Anil's father is no more. He has two brothers. One lives in the house besides Anil's, doesn't care about the family. The second is just 16 years old working in a factory in Jaipur. Anil is the smallest one who has to look after his mother and for daily earnings. He has no option than to go to work in farms.'

His mother was talking to me in Marwadi and crying hard. I was trying to collect her words and ultimately could just hug her while searching for the words to speak.
I told him to come to school the next day and left the house in some time.

'Why would he come to school? Teachers have tried. His friends have tried that was of no use. What solution am I going to find over this in case he comes tomorrow? What am I going to talk with the headmaster? What is the use of coming to school for him? What? Why?'
I am restless.


No comments:

Post a Comment